March 2007 Online Earnings Report

March 2007 Online Earnings March of 2007 was one heck of tough month, though I saw the warning signs pretty early. Following up my best month ever in February, March turned out to be pretty disappointing when all the final numbers were tallied up. Total net profit for March took a nosedive, at 39.28 percent down from last month – ouch! Let’s take a look at what made up the final numbers, and what I can do to turn it all around again.

Adsense

Adsense proved itself invaluable in a bad month otherwise. Adsense income was up nearly 22% over February. Just when I think Adsense is playing a smaller role, it goes and proves me wrong. Months like March make me thankful for my strong Adsense earnings, considering the weakness in other areas. Adsense made up a total of 75% of net profit for the month – that’s almost painful! It’s a big step backwards from the 37% last month, and even backward for the 64% in January. I really need to concentrate on my other monetization programs to reduce my dependency on Adsense.

One good point about my strong Adsense month is that I toned down my posting level, and still increased earnings. That’s truly a positive, in that it shows my archives are hard at work, earning me money. *Update* I just noticed that March 2007 marked an all time record for my Adsense earnings. Though I should make a note of that.

Text Link Ads

Text Link Ads is usually very consistent, in that my earnings increase every month. This marks the first month that I can recall where my earnings from TLA actually dropped. In fact, they took a beating, dropping 30%. Part of this is due to less TLA affiliate signups, but also due to a few advertisers dropping out. Hopefully I’ll see this number climb back up in the coming months. In fact, I quite expect it do, especially with the changes to Green Llama. TLA accounted for 22% of my net profit for March – actually an increase from last month. I like to see relatively stable income sources like TLA make up a good portion of my income.

Affiliate Programs

Just as fast as affiliate profits came for me, they nearly vanished. Profit from affiliate programs dropped 96% in March, vs my record February. Not good. That puts affiliate earnings at a meager 2% of total profit, vs 43% last month. This is not the direction I want to go in at all. So, what went wrong? Well, the biggest problem was the cancellation of my most profitable affiliate offer. I was converting said offer at 11% – and considering the type of offer, that’s fantastic. I’ve tried several replacements, and none convert higher than 1%. That just goes to show how important the affiliate offer is in the affiliate marketing game. I am still working on finding a replacement that is more suitable, so I can bring my affiliate earnings back up. In the meantime, I’m expanding into other areas and starting new campaigns.

Sponsored Posts

Also for March, I did a few sponsored posts, which accounted for 4% of my earnings. I don’t foresee this area of my income really taking off, but I don’t have any problem doing a few sponsored posts here and there, as long as they are in good taste and fit in with the theme of my sites.

What went wrong in March?

A few things really. The loss of my most profitable affiliate offer hurt significantly. This shows that diversification is key, of course, as we all know. A little reminder tends to hurt a little bit in the wallet area. Besides that, I was extremely busy at my day job, and thus didn’t have as much time to work on my own projects. I can’t really complain about this too much, because I made a good bit of extra cash there, so it more than makes up for the drop in income here.

Looking forward to April

Well, I’m not planning to change a whole lot for April. My fundamentals are sound, so I’m going to stay with the same basic plan. I am going to keep hunting for gold in the affiliate area. I know there is a lot of money there, and I want to find some profitable, sustainable programs. Trial and error, along with extensive testing, is the way to go here. I have a feeling April will bring great things. After all, my birthday is this month – so it can’t be too bad.

1. Carl Pei said

April 3 2007 @ 1:35 pm

Great writeup, but you do realize that percentages don’t really say anything.

For instance, any increase over 0 would yield an infinite % increase.

April 3 2007 @ 1:40 pm

Percentages say a lot, but certainly not the whole picture. I decided awhile ago against reporting hard numbers online. Why? I’m not sure really. For the same reason that it’s strange for people to talk about their dayjob salary I guess.

If you want a better idea of how much I make online, I’ll just say that it’s much more than pocket change, yet not nearly enough to quit my day job.

3. Carl Pei said

April 3 2007 @ 1:52 pm

I agree that I would never talk about real life salaries, but somehow feel that internet earnings are a bit different.

And really, percentages don’t really say anything if the reader does not know you. πŸ™‚

April 3 2007 @ 1:55 pm

I’m curious – why are online earnings different from dayjob earnings? It’s all money going to the same place after all, isn’t it?

5. Carl Pei said

April 3 2007 @ 2:07 pm

Web earnings are special, there aren’t many who have access to it. Almost everyone has access to regular salaries, and it is taboo in modern societies to compare those.

Web earnings are for me less serious, more fun, and more easily spent. πŸ˜€

April 3 2007 @ 2:12 pm

I guess it’s all in how you look at it then. I view my web earnings as business income, rather than just extra side money. My goal is to transition from dayjob working online at night, to working online only. I have quite a way to go until I reach that point, but my sights are set firmly on that goal.

Maybe that’s why I don’t disclose hard figures, because I see it like regular income whereas a lot of people see it as just icing on the cake.

7. Dennis Harnisch said

April 3 2007 @ 3:23 pm

I agree that diversification is key to surviving the not too predictable internet.

8. Shawn Knight said

April 3 2007 @ 8:24 pm

I too was a bit mislead without any real numbers, but hey thats your business and ill take your word for it πŸ™‚

April 4 2007 @ 8:32 am

Thanks Shawn. I may change my mind one day, but for now I’m keeping the hard number locked up tight.

10. Ron W. said

April 4 2007 @ 9:33 am

Have you ever thought about spreading your opportunity out? TLA is a great place, no doubt, but we always tell our customers to list their site at other big networks and try to offer their web real estate up to as many eye’s as possible. I’m the owner of LinkWorth.com and our network is as big as TLA and our biggest market is financial related.

I think your site would do well at LinkWorth as well. We cater to a wider range of customers than most and we have many products available to offer. You can also take 70% of the money paid. We also have an affiliate program if interested.

Anyhow, I happened across your site talking about our market and thought I would introduce myself and tell you about LinkWorth.

PS….the Green Llama strikes childhood memories of trying to take a Llama from this local Llama farm and put it on our high school lawn and it kept spitting at us.

April 4 2007 @ 10:39 am

Hey Ron,
    I haven’t heard of LinkWorth before; I’m reading over the page now to check it out. Thanks for the tip – I am all about experimentation, so if I like what I read, I may try it out to see if it outperforms TLA for me.

Gotta love those crazy llamas – they can spit pretty far if provoked πŸ˜‰

12. Ron W said

April 4 2007 @ 11:22 am

Leroy….great! Let me know if you have any questions. Don’t get me wrong, TLA is a great place and the owner is super nice guy…I always suggest using both places to better your chances. That way you’ll be subject to all of their advertisers and all of ours. πŸ˜‰

April 4 2007 @ 11:31 am

Ron,
    I just applied to the program, so hopefully it will go well. What’s a rough estimate on how long it takes to get approved?

14. Ron W said

April 4 2007 @ 12:10 pm

Looks like they beat me to the punch and approved you. I’ll put a word into the sales dept to see if they have any related budgets they’re spending right now. Welcome aboard!

April 4 2007 @ 12:30 pm

Damn, I’m impressed – that’s quick! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I can pick up a few advertisers and get some income rolling in soon.

16. Brandon Hopkins said

April 10 2007 @ 1:03 pm

Leroy, made any money with LinkWorth yet?

April 10 2007 @ 1:32 pm

Brandon,
    In fact, I have made a bit from Linkworth for April. Ron was kind enough to point some advertisers in my direction to get me jump-started. I’ll likely write up a Linkworth review early next month, once I’ve been on board for a bit longer.