Worst Google Ad Ever

On my last post, What should my company name be?, I was presented with this Google Adsense ad right after the post:

are you gay

Just for the record, no, I am not gay.  Just in case anyone was wondering.

I’ve seen a lot of goofy, way off-target Adsense ads here at Green Llama ( which is a topic for another post, by the way ), but this one just may be the worst offender yet.  There was no mention of the word “gay” or even “homosexual” in the post, and I’m just not sure what relevance company names have to homosexuality.

But, on a lighter note, if you are wondering about your sexuality, I now know a great place to take a quiz and find out the truth!

1. Kyle Eslick said

April 9 2007 @ 5:16 pm

This ad has been driving me crazy also because it has no relevance to the content in the post and wastes a spot where a relevant ad could be.

I’ve also noticed it multiple times on the same page on a few occasions. There are a few like this that I can’t stand.

April 9 2007 @ 6:23 pm

Google is a strange beast sometimes. At times I can have the toughest time getting keywords / ads to get the OK from the big G, but stuff like this slides under their radar.

But it’s hard to be mad at Google – they send me money every month, after all.

3. Shawn Knight said

April 9 2007 @ 6:33 pm

HAHA I saw the same ad before this was posted and just laughed to myself. I’d try to contact google and maybe ask they remove it? LOL

April 10 2007 @ 9:35 am

I just added it to my competitive ads filter. I can’t imagine that anyone who comes here ( or many people anyway ) are confused about their sexuality. For that matter, it can’t be a very high paying ad.

5. Everyday Weekender said

April 11 2007 @ 9:34 am

ohh man that’s priceless.. but I don’t know.. maybe it isn’t that bad after all – some people gotta know 😉

6. Q at $1 Million to My Name said

May 8 2007 @ 1:55 pm

I just started my blog about three weeks ago, and that was one of the first ads that came up! I was looking at my content, wondering what had triggered the ad. I had only made three posts, nothing very gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.