Text Link Ads is not using TinyURL

If you’re a Text Link Ads user ( and as a reader of the Green Llama, you damn well better be ), then there’s a chance you recently received this email, purportedly from the fine folks at TLA

Message-Id: <20070823181944.BF564754707@93810-web1.text-link-ads.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:19:44 -0500 (CDT)
Leroy,

As a Text Link Ads affiliate we’re pleased to let you know that we’ve
begun using tinyurl.com to shorten and secure our affiliate referral
links. We encourage you to update your affiliate links using the
Homepage URL

Starter Promo URL

** Please note that our old affiliate urls will no longer work in one
week so please update today. Thank you!
Text Link Ads
techsupport@text-link-ads.com

I have not contacted TLA in regards to this email, nor do I intend to. There is no question that a company such as TLA would not, ever, use a service like TinyURL for their all-important affiliate links. When clicking on the links, they do go to TLA, as promised. However, they don’t appear to use any affiliate ID ( I figured they would use the scammer’s affiliate code ). So I’m not really sure what the point of this is, except perhaps to cheat everyone out of some cash?

Anyway, don’t go changing your TLA affiliate links. Leave them alone, they’re working fine, and they’ll continue to work fine. And if you aren’t a member, sign up via the link in my sidebar.

1. Glen Allsopp said

August 23 2007 @ 3:17 pm

Payperpost use TinyURL so why not?

August 23 2007 @ 3:28 pm

Hey look at that. Maybe I should log into my account to check before I write up a post sounding like an idiot. I was wrong – they are using tinyURL now. Simply looks unprofessional ( if you’re using direct affiliate links ), and seems goofy. Whey rely on tinyURL for this? If their server goes down, then no TLA affiliate links will work.

I’ve got dozens of links floating around that generate affiliate signups…. I’m certainly not looking forward to changing them all..

Anyway I was wrong. I’d suggest changing your links asap to make sure you don’t miss out on any business.

3. Jeremy Steele said

August 23 2007 @ 5:21 pm

I was about to say, the only way they could have gotten the name for my text link ads account (not under my name) is if they broke into their server or if it was TLA.

4. Cory OBrien said

August 23 2007 @ 11:55 pm

For a minute there I thought that I had actually been fooled by a phisher. You had me going though :).

5. Adam Dempsey said

August 24 2007 @ 2:39 am

Does seem a bit weird, but maybe it’s todo with trying to stop sites blocking their links or something

August 24 2007 @ 2:16 pm

I really don’t know what they were thinking. The other thing that just grabbed my attention is that TLA will lose many thousands of direct links to their site.

I know they’re pretty much an authority in the world of text link ads, but having all those links out there with good, solid, anchor text probably didn’t hurt. Now that it’ll all disappear, what will happen to their SE rankings?

7. Jeremy Steele said

August 24 2007 @ 2:38 pm

I kind of doubt they are too concerned. Word of mouth advertising is much more powerful than any search engine rankings, and TLA has a ton of that kinda advertising.

8. Web2.0 Reviews said

August 26 2007 @ 4:37 pm

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I heard the news, I just couldn’t believe that the affiliate links would warrant a change such as this, it doesn’t make any sense to me. 🙁

9. Danny Tuppeny said

August 27 2007 @ 6:55 am

hehe, I just signed up with them and thought it was weird they used tinyurl. Then I came across this post and thought “WTF!”.

I don’t blame you for being sceptical – it does looks like a spam email. If they’d instead written “login to the website to generate your new urls” it might’ve looked more official!

10. raj said

September 5 2007 @ 10:04 am

They really are changing affiliate URLs, but Patrick tells me they’re making a revision to the approach. So they’ll be sending out new email messages this week.

As to the why, I’d rather let Patrick say, if he feels it necessary. I can only speculate.